1. Make sure you give your definition somewhere in the paragraph.
2. You may give other people’s definitions to compare and/or contrast with yours.
3. You can give a quote about the topic. You can quote someone talking about the topic.
4. You can explain how or why your interest in the topic was peaked.
5. You can give a short example of what you are talking about OR what you are not talking about.
6. It would be good if you had a thesis sentence that shows where you are going with it.
Example: Family is not just the folks who are genetically related to you; they can be people who live with you, friends who have taken the place of family, and folks who you become related to through marriage.